DOM-TV (was RE: ATVEF uri )

<readying myself for slinging arrows>

The current DOMs, whether we acknowledge that DOM-0 exists, DOM-1, and
the now-in-draft-stage DOM-2, are *not* sufficient for enhanced
television.

If we assume that HTML will be used on television in the same manner as
HTML is used on computer screens, then these DOMs will suffice.  But...

I do not think HTML will be used the same way when creating enhanced
television content.  There will certainly be changes to the event model,
there is likely to be a stronger multimedia component (SYMM-related
stuff), there will likely be a different user agent paradigm (i.e., no
browser with a forward/backward/bookmark button).  In addition, the
content model might change in order to reduce complexity/increase
robustness of the receiver.

Therefore, I strongly believe that there will be a DOM-TV.  What that
DOM is, I don't know yet.  I do know, however, that it will considerably
overlap with DOM-1 and DOM-2.

In my recent review of DOM-0 (similar to Mr. Adams survey), it became
clear to me that starting from DOM-0 is not a good idea (to be polite):
its a non-standard, it overlaps with DOM-1 and DOM-2 which are or will
be standards, and it DOM-0 will still need to be extended.

DOM-0 is undefined and poorly designed.  Mixing DOM-0 and DOM-1 and
DOM-2 is a disaster waiting to happen.  They have objects and interfaces
with similar names but different properties and methods.

My recommendation is that the basis for a DOM-TV be DOM-1 and DOM-2.
They are (or will be) standards with a clearly defined specification.

Addressing Mr. Dolan's comment that DOM-1 is too much, I beg to differ.
DOM-1 is considerably less than DOM-0.  DOM-1 does not provide access to
the Event model, User Agent, or CSS.

There is redundant functionality of the DOM-1 HTML interfaces with the
DOM-1 Core interfaces.  The HTML interfaces are HTML-specific
simplifications of features accessible through the XML-based Core
interfaces.  A receiver manufacturer could choose to only support the
HTML interfaces (which are certainly lighter weight) or they could
choose to only support the Core interfaces (which provide a complete
solution). The issue then becomes code-reuse and training.

Ted