Re: Timed-text , simple and soon

>Does version 1.0 of Timed-text have to take a long time? Can it just
>have the features of RealText, added transparent background for the
>first version.

I hope it doesn't take a long time.  (In fact, I'm sure nobody wants it to take a long time!)  The factors determining how long it takes are determined by, among other things...

1.  feature creep
2.  W3C process

As for #1, I and some others have already advocated for a simple timed-text format that addresses basic and immediate needs, like captioning and subtitling.  It sounds like that's essentially what you're asking for, too.  I prefer that we develop a simple format for these purposes, release it and THEN add to it more complex features.

I'm not sure we should just twiddle with RealText and call that our new format.  I think we can do better than that.

Regarding #2, the timed-text working group charter is at http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/ttcharter20020901.html.  According to the timeline, we're supposed to begin work in January, 2003, but I haven't heard any word from our W3C pals lately about this.  Al, is this still the case?  Any details?

Thanks.
Geoff Freed
WGBH/NCAM