Re: Microsoft's implementation of OBJECT hosed for JPEG?

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> I need some other people to verify a problem I just discovered with
> the way Microsoft implemented OBJECT.

I tried something similar a while back and thought I must be doing
something wrong when it didn't work, but now I see that's not the case.
According to MS, IE "supports objects according to the WWW Consortium
(W3C) object model extension to HTML 3.2," but most of the examples at
<http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-object> cause IE to display the "...
ActiveX control with data that is not known to be safe" alert dialog
and then go unstable, whether you select 'YES' or 'NO' to continue.

To 'fix' the problem in IE you've got to disable both "Enable ActiveX
controls and plug-ins" and "Run ActiveX scripts". OBJECT is then not
recognized and the content is displayed. But what the hell good is this
to unsuspecting visitors to your site? As you noted, removing the
OBJECT is the only solution.

Very dumb to cripple OBJECT to be just an ActiveX container and then
imply otherwise. Hope it works right in the next IE release.

David Perrell