Re: HTML questions ?

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, jna wrote:

> Most just allow you to highlight something,
> and say "Oh, let's make this a Heading #1" and it auto-inserts the tags
> with no intelligence or attention to grammar, so it's technically
> possible to 'pile up' commands so a line such as:
>
> <H1> This is a heading with <I>italic</I> text </H1>
>
> is possible. Although, the spec says it's completely wrong to make a
> header in this manner, people do it, and Netscape/MSIE supports the
> displaying of the (originally) invalid html.

You are wrong. Go look it up. Physical markup is allowed in headers. I
routinely validate code with <i>italics</i> in headers. You weaken your
whole argument regarding HTML editors being inferior to manual coding when
you fail to know the standard yourself.

After some email discussion with SQ - I decided to examine HMPro 3. I (and
the other people I had review it) was quite favorably impressed.  It is
the *first* HTML editor that our company is actually going to use as part
of our normal operations. It still isn't (quite) good enough for final
code in most cases: Critical missing features for us are that we can't put
in our own DTDs or manage CSS1 stylesheets using it, and it is totally
lacking in upload/download support (these last two are strange omissions
when even some shareware editors now support CSS1 and upload/download (see
HomeSite beta2 at <URL:http://www.dexnet.com/homesite.html>).

And it has an important error in its coding of client-side imagemaps (it
can't handle <area shape="default" alt="" nohref> - which is part of the
3.2 DTD - there might be a fix for this on their website, but I haven't
checked yet). But it does an *outstanding* first pass conversion of
existing documents - particularly those with embedded tables. Almost all
of the cleanup work afterwards is stylistic in nature.  This alone will
save us substantial amounts of time.

--
Benjamin Franz