Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

Matthew James Marnell writes:
 > All these apps running to and fro, how can a java server on the
 > Java port know if should accept the app or send it onto another
 > java server?  Which other server?  [...]
 > If I had a dime for every time something like this has
 > been said and later poo-poo-ed, I'd have my daughters 2 million dollar
 > college tuition for the year 2012 paid for, and that's just up until
 > now, not figuring for inflation and interest.  Chalk it up to "I'll
 > believe it when I see it, and I still don't see the relevance to
 > a Java well-known socket."

The "generic user agent roaming the net vision" also strikes me as a
tad silly.  However, there are some very nice, specific applications
to letting the user execute scripts or programs on the server: news
filtering, content negotiation, etc.  Those kinds of applications
otherwise require multiple roundtrips and/or the transmission of a lot
of data that the user isn't interested in.

Thomas.