Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

:>Because there may be licensing issues of allowing general internet access
:>to a Web Server. If say I have a database. In my example let's take
:>Oracle. It costs a set amount for an Oracle licence. Each connection will
:>cost X amount. If I want to control costs, and remain legal, I want to
:>have the applet execute on the server. That way I can make sure that no
:>more than say 8 connections are made to the database. With the
:>connections coming from java applets on client machines I may not have
:>the control over the number of clients. Besides, Java is great in that it
:>can be used cross platform. But that holds for servers too, not just the
:>clients (browsers).

So let's say you bought an 8 user license for Oracle.  Software products
like this usually have the limit built into them if they're really
worried about more than a set number of connections.  As far as
charging, you use a proxy or gateway that takes care of this, it
could even take care to make sure connections don't get over a
set number.  It's simple, it's done everywhere already for any
number of things has been for a while now.  Java hasn't changed
anything yet.

So, what we're really talking about is sending all Java communication,
whether it be applets, mini-search apps, gaming apps, SQL apps,
chat apps, etc. through a single port, when there are already ports
for most of these already.

Yes, Java is cross-platform.  It crosses all of 7 platforms at 1.0.2,
and a couple more at 1.0.1 (where a ton of development effort has
stalled because of licensing terms for 1.0.2).  How many platforms
run on the Internet now?  Would it be conservative to say 30-40
different platforms.

Ah, forget it.

Matt