Re: state info in URL (was Re: Proposition on advanced URL features...)

Rick Troth <troth@compassnet.com> wrote:
  > On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Mirsad Todorovac wrote:
  >
  > > Existing syntax of the URL allows constructs like this:

  > Some of us are using the generalization
  >
  > 	http://host[:port]/path[;parameters][#anchor][?searchargs]
  >
  > allowing for state information to be held in the URL.
  > I'd very much like to see this included in formal docs.

Embedding state information in a URL disrupts caching.  For a proposal
that does similar things but is more cache-friendly, see my State-Info
proposal at
	http://www.research.att.com/~dmk/session.html
or draft-kristol-http-state-info-00.txt in the Internet Drafts directory
at your favorite site.

Dave Kristol