Re: Origin vs Authority; use of HTTPS (draft-nottingham-site-meta-01)

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Breno de Medeiros <breno@google.com>
> wrote:
> > In that case, content-type is a mild defense. Can you give me an example
> > where a web-site administrator will allow files to be hosted at '/'?
>
> There are enough of these sites to force Adobe to break backwards
> compatibility in a Flash security release.
>
> > I can find some fairly interesting names to host at '/'
> >
> > E.g.: favicon.ico, .htaccess, robots.txt, ...
>
> OMG, you changed my favicon!  .htaccess only matters if Apache
> interprets it (e.g., uploading an .htaccess file to Gmail doesn't do
> anything interesting).
>
> > Trying to secure such environments seems to me a waste of time, quite
> > frankly.
>
> Clearly, Adobe doesn't share your opinion.
>
> > The most interesting threat of files uploaded to root is via defacement.
> > This solution does nothing against that threat.
>
> I you can deface my server, then I've got big problems already (e.g.,
> my Web site is totally hacked).  Not addressing this issue creates a
> security problem where none currently exists.

The web site of your corporation being totally hacked and the identity
system for users of your corporation server's being totally hacked are
problems of a completely different order of magnitude.

The fact is that site-meta will be used for purposes that introduce
attending threats even more significant than XSS (an example of which you
still have to provide in this thread) and security measures needed to
mitigate these threats are application specific.

--
--Breno

+1 (650) 214-1007 desk
+1 (408) 212-0135 (Grand Central)