Re: Inconsistencies in Discovery methods

On Feb 7, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:

> This solves my problem with regard to the Link header.
>
> On Feb 06, 2009 4:41 PM, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>
>> The Link header field defines what it is about: [RFC2068]
>>
>>    The Link entity-header field provides a means for describing a
>>    relationship between two resources, generally between the
>> requested
>>    resource and some other resource.
>
> Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? The same spec defines entity-
> header as:
>
>    Entity-header fields define optional metainformation about the
>    entity-body or, if no body is present, about the resource
> identified
>    by the request.

This makes me wonder if Link: in its reincarnation ought to be defined
to be a response-header instead of an entity-header:

    The response-header fields allow the server to pass additional
    information about the response which cannot be placed in the Status-
    Line. These header fields give information about the server and
about
    further access to the resource identified by the Request-URI. [RFC
2616]

What would this break? I would guess that there are implications for
CN and caching, but not sure  whether the change would be an
improvement or damaging.

Jonathan