RE: Chart description language?

We have worked on something vaguely familiar to what you describe, which we called PlotML. It allows charts (or plots) to be specified in XML. The XML can either include the data itself, or can point to an external source of data. It can be used for archiving plots, or for displaying plots in web pages (currently either via a servlet which converts PlotML to GIF, or using a Java applet on the client).

Doubtless what we have is somewhat specific to the field we are using it in (scientific data for High Energy Physics), but feel free to take a look:

http://www-sldnt.slac.stanford.edu/jas/Documentation/howto/xml/default.shtml

Tony Johnson
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center