Re: discovering site metadata

At 10:57 AM 2002-02-08 , Mark Nottingham wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 09:14:08AM -0500, Al Gilman wrote:
>> The root URL for a domain is the commercial best practice for the
>> page that is the default and generic entry point for the realm
>> proper to one "corporate author" or virtual business entity.
>
>I think it's much more than that; it's a resource that is the
>hierarchical root of all other resources made available by that
>authority.

This is commercial custom but not part of the technical specification.

Hierarchy in the namespace is a syntactic convenience as far as URIs are
concerned, the sense as nested contexts is a good guess based on practice but
not a requirement to use this form of URL.  Compare with URL-encoded script
parameters that use path segments rather than the searchpart syntax.  The sense
of the sequence of path segments is at the discretion of the service offeror.

Publishing entities (people and pseudo-people such as corporations and other
ORGs) should have the capability to publish as one web presence arbitrary
collections of URIs.

A collection of data which is excised from the assets on hand at a server and
dispatched to a recipient as a representation of "a resource" needs more
"packaging for delivery" than just the Location reference.  Anything from the
context of that Location that matters should be pulled into the packaging (SOAP
envelope, HTTP headers) as an explicit reference.

This requirement applies to any datagram, whether HTTP or MIME.  The datagrams
in HTTP are a clear fact of operational life.  Once sent, the data sent may
become a persistent record at the recipient's facility and need to be properly
_characterized_ as well as 'identified' as a result.

Meeting the requirement at the datagram level fills all 'site' requirements.
And taking special measures for sites fails to meet the datagram requirements,
which are real and subsume site metadata.

Al

<http://www.example.org/w3c/p3p.xml>http://www.example.org/w3c/p3p.xml