Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

On Sun, 6 May 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:

> I'd like the rest of my homepage to display properly in most browsers.
> Such XML additions should degrade gracefully, not cause me to have to
> make new versions.

XML doesn't "degrade gracefully". One of the whole points of XML is that
it not "degrade gracefully". If you wish to argue this point, that's a
whole other kettle of fish, and one that I have no opinion on in the
context of changing Mozilla's behaviour, which is currently attempting to
follow existing W3C specifications.

> Perhaps Mozilla could introduce some sort of comment element for
> namespaces. Something [...] Similar to the <noscript> hack for
> JavaScript.

Emphasis on "hack".

I'm not saying these are not good ideas -- merely that they move WAY
beyond the existing specifications and it is therefore not appropriate to
just implement them. Get the W3C to agree on something, and then you have
something to get the implementors to do. Until then...

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'