Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> writes:

> I think it would be useful for mozilla/netscape to bail out of HTML
> parsing if it sees an xml declaration at the start of the file, but it
> certainly isn't broken if it does not do that.

From RFC 2854, 'The media type "text/html"':

-----

   This document summarizes the history of HTML development, and
   defines the "text/html" MIME type by pointing to the relevant W3C
   recommendations;

. . .

   Published specification:             ...  In addition, [XHTML1]
   defines a profile of use of XHTML which is compatible with HTML
   4.01 and which may also be labeled as text/html.

-----

An XML declaration has a parameter "encoding", and a text/html http
object, if not 7 bit ascii, is served with a charset value, as part of
its content type descriptor.  (And, of course, there may also be a
content transfer encoding at the http level.)

I wonder if concern over the task of the proposed pre-parse fast light
weight analysis of the top of the http body involves charset issues.

Along with that I wonder if it might be useful to have an elaboration
in the definition of text/html of the relationship between
http/content-type/charset and xml/encoding when the XML form of HTML
is served as "text/html".

                                    -- Bill