Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

At 09:59 PM 5/1/01 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>Mozilla's XML parser should be smart enough to recognize the HTML DTDs and
>thus expand these entities properly, even if it doesn't validate the page
>(which I believe it should).

I thought Mozilla carried a local list of entities that it applied to HTML
based on the PUBLIC identifier from the DOCTYPE declaration.  I could be
totally wrong, but that's what I understood last summer while working on
the Mozilla/XML articles for XML.com.

On the validation side, I think a lot of people are happy to acknowledge
that validation is grossly overrated, especially when presented as a task
that should be performed repeatedly at every step in a delivery
process.  Given Mozilla's use of  the non-validating (and totally
legitimate) expat parser as a foundation, demanding validation sounds like
a non-starter.

Next they'll want everyone to validate against W3C XML Schema.  Bah.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly & Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML