Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:

>> it would render the page without any expanded
>> character entity references, since Mozilla is not a validating parser
>> and thus skips parsing the DTD and thus doesn't know what  ,
>> · and © are.
>
> Mozilla's XML parser should be smart enough to recognize the HTML DTDs and
> thus expand these entities properly, even if it doesn't validate the page
> (which I believe it should).

(If it did, you couldn't arbitrarily use namespaces.)

>> and it would use an
>> unexpected background colour for the page because the stylesheet sets
>> the background on <body> and not <html>, which in XHTML will result in
>> a different rendering to the equivalent in HTML4 (same sheet, line 5).
>
> I have not heard of this change before. Can you point me to the section of
> the XHTML spec that defines this?

The HTML WG have asked the CSS WG to not extend CSS2 section 14.2 [1]
paragraph 4 to cover XHTML.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#q2

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'