Re: Static? Dynamic?

Patrick McManus wrote:
> Together that's 86% of the servers on the net..

Wow... thanks for all the evidence.

And to think I've considered closing www-talk because
it was becoming content-free!

> just for giggles, I got the headers (HTTP/1.1 HEAD request) for images
> off of the home pages of the organizations of John (@netapp), Dan (at
> @w3) and myself (@AppliedTheory)..

[...]

> Not one of them had an Expires or cache-control header set.

Touche!

I wonder what it would take to get the server installations
to have more cache-friendly defaults.

> all in all its a big mess, and it's got me mighty frustrated because
> I'm a huge believer in the basic tennents of the systema and that it's
> the only way to really make this scale to things much bigger than
> page-ready content.

Well said. Keep the faith. Fight the good fight.

Meanwhile, maybe I can get something done about the w3.org web site...
or at least the jigsaw.w3.org web site ;-)

But first, a litany of excuses...

For administration of www.w3.org, the combination of the
enormous legacy (people get annoyed when we change the server
config file, e.g., to take advantage of content negotiation
features, and suddenly the japanese version of some page
that's been happily doing its thing since 1994 or before
becomes unavailable due to some wierd interaction) with
the limited resources (we have a handful of support staff
that divides its time between (a) administration and
maintenance of http://www.w3.org/ and the other global
server infrastructure of W3C and (b) local system administration
["the printer's busted. the router's hosed."] and
member help ["I forgot my password."]) provides little
opportunity to really deal with this sort of stuff.

But on the Jigsaw Demo Site http://jigsaw.w3.org/ ,
we do nothing but showcase The Right Thing: digest auth
and all that sort of stuff.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/