Re: Static? Dynamic?

Just to be clear on what we are discussing.

At 10:35 PM 29/06/99 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>As a community, I feel we have the following choice:
>	-- provide TTL metadata in those cases where
>		we don't want clients (incl. proxy caches)
>		to assume a default TTL around a day or a week
>		or whatever, so that folks can implement caching per
>		the specs and get reasonable application behaviour

For client (user / browser) caches this may indeed be true but all the
proxy caches I know of err on the side of caution. In other words, the
non-existance of a 'Expires' or 'Last Modified' header ensures that an
object will never be cached.

>	-- live with the cache-busting techniques that providers
>		are forced into due to the current lack of discipline.

This would be regrettable. Sadly, I dont know of many web server
implementations which give information providers the choice to use / set
Cache-Control or Expires settings.

Is W3C coordinating any work on cacheability or freshness issues like this?

Rgds,
John
Network Appliance                  Main Office: +31 23 567 9600
Kruisweg 799                               Fax: +31 23 567 9699
NL-2132 NG Hoofddorp          Voicemail/Mobile: +31 654 308 275