Re: Tracking hits without cache-busting

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Grahame Grieve wrote:
>
> > >That is not a bug in IE5, that is the exact behavior required by the
> > >standard.  Back is supposed to show the old page you have seen before,
> > >not fetch a new copy.  See for example section 13.13 of rfc2616.
> >
> > but this is obtuse to a user. why should a user perceive
> > any difference between a page they got from going back
> > and a page they got from going forward? In highly dynamic
> > web applications this caching of back business is a big problem with
> > the http standard
>
> HTML was designed to serve up more or less static pages.

Huh? Please cite a source.

The 1st web server in the world was a gateway to the
CERN phone book, served dynamically.

c.f.

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 92 17:12:46 GMT+0100
From: timbl (Tim Berners-Lee)
To: wei@xcf.berkeley.edu (Pei Y. Wei)
Subject: Viola - WWW interface
Cc: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/1992JanFeb/0002.html

Quite to the contrary:

"The notion that some web resources are 'static' while others
are 'dynamic' or 'computed on the fly' is an unfortunately
limited understanding of the system, based on the very
common experience of studying the CERN and NCSA httpd
implementations. The distinction between 'static' and 'dynamic'
web pages is not in any of the HTTP, HTML, or URL
specifications at all. By definition, all web resources are
opaque objects that respond to a GET method. "
-- editorial of the Mar/Apr 1997 issue of
  Web Apps Magazine, ISSN #1090-2287.
  Dan Connolly
  http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/9703-web-apps-essay.html

and more recently:

===========
excerpt from
Web Architecture: Describing and Exchanging Data
       W3C Note 7 June 1999
       This version:
           http://www.w3.org/1999/06/07-WebData
       Authors:
           Tim Berners-Lee <timbl>, W3C
           Dan Connolly <connolly>, W3C
           Ralph R. Swick <swick>, W3C

The architecture of the World Wide Web provides users with a simple
       hypertext interface to a variety of remote resources, from static
documents
       purely for human consumption to interactive data services. HTML,
the data
       format that facilitated the widespread deployment of the Web,
started by
       adding URI based linking to word processor style rich text to
provide basic
       global hypertext functionality. The addition of forms to HTML
provided a
       minimal but functional user interface to interactive data
services.

       While this HTML infrastructure has facilitated a revolution in
global
       information technology, it suffers from the inevitable
limitations of a "one size
       fits all" solution: rich document structures are lost as the
content is squeezed
       into the primitive structures of HTML. Similarly, the cost of
squeezing rich
       data structures into and out of HTML is paid in efficiency and
integrity.

       Now that the Web has reached critical mass as a medium for human
       communication, the next phase is to build the "Semantic Web". The
       Semantic Web is a Web that includes documents, or portions of
documents,
       describing explicit relationships between things and containing
semantic
       information intended for automated processing by our machines.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/