Re: Static? Dynamic?

At 08:36 AM 06/07/99 -0400, Patrick McManus wrote:
>I'm not sure what can be done to teach content providers the value of
>good expiry info. If they think of it at all, it's usually 'how do I
>force a cache to skip over me?'.. and it's definitely a thing that
>needs an economy of scale to be real worthwhile..

Exactly. The issue is not one of technology but of deployment.

>I suspect that it will come from pressure applied by access providers
>as they enforce cache policies more and more the ramifications will
>push content providers into thinking a little bit that way too.. the
>irony is that the benefits are just as big (if not bigger) for the
>content provider.

I couldn't agree more. But I'm not sure the situation is as bleak as you
think since most of the information retrieved by the majority of users
comes from a relatively small number of sites. Perhaps by persuading the
big guys, demonstrating the improved QoS to their users, the smaller sites
will follow.

John
Network Appliance                  Main Office: +31 23 567 9600
Kruisweg 799                               Fax: +31 23 567 9699
NL-2132 NG Hoofddorp          Voicemail/Mobile: +31 654 308 275