Re: Static? Dynamic?

At 10:46 AM 30/06/99 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > Is W3C coordinating any work on cacheability or freshness issues like this?
>
>Er... yes. I think the HTTP 1.1 design covers these cacheability
>and freshness issues, and we did a lot of "coordinating" in
>the development of the HTTP 1.1 draft standard.
>
>We host the
>         HTTP/1.1 Implementor's Forum
>         http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Forum/
>(excerpt: "Agranat Systems EmWeb
>     Server: The clockless server does not send Date headers,
>but does provide enough information for caches to operate correctly. ")

Thanks for the extra info.

The point I was trying to make was really about deployment, not standards.
[If everyone implemented 1.1 completely and correctly, we would not be
having this discussion.] The Apache example was that providing correct
expiry information was a compile-time option. How can we ensure that this
behaviour becomes default?

Rgds,
John
Network Appliance                  Main Office: +31 23 567 9600
Kruisweg 799                               Fax: +31 23 567 9699
NL-2132 NG Hoofddorp          Voicemail/Mobile: +31 654 308 275