Re: Reviewing the Solid protocol

pá 24. 3. 2023 v 10:49 odesílatel Philip Sheldrake <philip@eulerpartners.com>
napsal:

> Thank you Melvin for your reply.
>
> Regarding your observation that my comments would be more appropriate at
> the brainstorming stage, I couldn’t agree more.
>
> I have followed the Solid project since 2009, and even had the privilege
> to chair a keynote by TBL partly on the matter at the Royal Society in
> 2011. But my research into sociology and ecology was only just starting at
> this juncture, and more broadly web science is of course a never-ending
> pursuit for all of us.
>
> So here we are. The dedication to interdisciplinarity that is the hallmark
> of web science is putting a stick in the spokes.
>
> Perhaps I can put it another way. I began my career designing assembly
> lines for diesel engines. In light of the action that we know we need to
> take today in terms of sustainable transport, I wouldn’t dismiss this
> understanding and continue producing diesel engines on the basis that we
> should have thought about it all at the brainstorming stage.
>
> The founding principles of a variety of sociotechnological innovations —
> particularly by my analysis those that embrace and work towards
> decentralized ubiquity — require significant revision, and this includes
> Solid as much as we might all wish otherwise.

Solid was partially created in the read write web community group, and
there were a number of principles that guided its creation.  We've never
really written them down, but probably we should, since the same principles
could form a number of approaches and specs, with Solid being the first.

However, a core idea was decentralization.  I agree that definitions change
over time, especially as "decentralized" became a popular marketing term
(often in reality depicting the opposite).  In Solid there was an effort to
make the system decentralized.  In particular there was a clean separation
between an HTTP document, and a Person, each being given separate URIs.
This allows a degree of portability without being tied to a domain, at
least in theory.  Solid is one of the few systems on the web that separates
http documents and things, i.e. transport and data.

Perhaps you'd like to review Solid with your own perspective on
decentralization.  However, as I say, I dont really expect much to change
in Solid since it seems to be becoming ossified.

IMHO feedback is still good, as, it can be used to create new lines of
thought or innovation