Re: Reviewing the Solid protocol

čt 23. 3. 2023 v 14:43 odesílatel Philip Sheldrake <philip@eulerpartners.com>
napsal:

> [...]
> the legal conception and does not embrace this truth revealed by nature’s
> living processes.
>
> *My data*
> “My” here denotes both “data about me” and ownership. The latter must not
> be tolerated. The propertisation of personal data is wholly unethical and
> must be resisted at every turn. Martin Tisné argues that the idea of data
> ownership is a category error with pernicious consequences, and the
> European Data Protection Supervisor disliked these consequences so
> intensely he likened a market for personal data to a market for live human
> organs. (I write more on this here
> <https://philipsheldrake.com/2019/01/the-misleading-name-metaphor-defiance-and-awesome-potential-of-personal-data-part-2-of-3/>
> .)
>
> *Control*
> Agency in co-evolving structure entails a negotiation in and with the
> world that the word ‘control’ denies. Attempting to scale control is a
> false god. (Woody Hartzog <https://youtu.be/39EqTvpa1SY?t=345> talks well
> to this imho.)
>
> *Privacy by design*
> The unprecedented scale of application envisaged here demands we take
> another look at the decades-old privacy by design (PbD) principles. A
> system designed according to the PbD data minimisation principle cannot
> take in any other information, and so cannot communicate context (the
> information ‘around’ the information), and so in turn may well frustrate
> any striving for justice for justice is necessarily contextual.
>
> *Identity*
> Computer science inherits the bureaucracy’s conception of identity. Mere
> centuries old in current continuous form, I categorise the bureaucratic and
> so computer science conceptualisation of identity as noun-like (after
> Bauman, Z. 2011; Fuller, B. et al. 1970). The conceptualisations of every
> other discipline with an interest in the matter may be categorised as
> verb-like, which alone should be seen as a red flag. Examples of the latter
> include considering information exchange, relationships, and identity to be
> reciprocally defining and co-evolving, and considering identity as the
> capacity for and the process of sense-making.
>
> Computer science is dedicated to making *things* legible to the system
> rather than helping humans relate to each other. Autopoiesis and cognition
> are rarely discussed by the identity digerati.
>
> Encoding only the noun-like leads inevitably to a pollution of the
> information ecology of human nature and human culture. For the avoidance of
> any confusion, pollution is contextual; a thing or process may be both
> highly prized and a pollutant simultaneously subject to contexts, and the
> art then is to constrain its application accordingly. Constraint is too
> rarely mentioned let alone operationalised, and it seems no-one is 'coding
> for the verb-like’ so to speak. (See Human identity: the number one

Hi Philip

Solid has been a work in progress for 15 years, or you could argue a bit
before with FOAF, for 20 years.  Your comments seem to be more at the
brainstorming stage

An update:  I was pointed to the proposed DRAFT solid working group charter
(draft emphasis mine, as I think it's still early)

https://solid.github.io/solid-wg-charter/charter/

From what I can see most of the deliverables are more or less nailed down.
There's some room at the edges for changes, but not alot for drastic
rewrites.

Exit criteria being 2+ implementations and a test suite, which I think
Solid already has.  So I expect it to ossify what's already there.

Seems a fairly straightword shift from a v0.10.0 spec to a v1.0.0 spec with
wider W3C review.  Probably not a lot of substantive change.