Re: Reviewing the Solid protocol

po 10. 4. 2023 v 19:54 odesílatel Gavin Nicol <gtn@rbii.com> napsal:

> My note about 'pod' is a more generic problem with external storage
> (especially semi-structured, or structured)  that is not directly under the
> control of the user - SOLID being one case. Minimally these systems expose
> the user to risk of denial of service, and creates pressure for
> centralization. Saying that users a free to host their own server is a poor
> answer because historically the people that have actually done that are on
> the fringe... how many people choose to host a webdav server instead of
> using google drive or dropbox?
>
> Another good example of a similar nature is medical records - everyone
> decries the rough monopoly that EPIC holds, and there are a myriad
> proposals (many of which use blockchain as a meme to imply security and
> decentralization) that boil down to "EPIC is an evil centralized monopoly
> that is monetizing your data! We must be free of this - all you have to do
> is move your data into our system, and we can break the chains!". The
> outcome of that is obvious given the business incentives.
>
> It's not clear that path forward is to have a server-based system for
> sovereign data at all. Given the storage capacity of modern mobile devices,
> broadly available connectivity, and modern cryptography, there are other
> approaches. Would exploring those fall under the charter?

I believe there are (at least) three distinct aspects to consider when
examining the centralization/decentralization spectrum:

   1.

   Specifications: These guidelines determine what can and cannot be done.
   A centralized specification offers relatively few choices or paths, whereas
   a decentralized one provides numerous options. Solid likely falls somewhere
   in the middle in this regard.
   2.

   Data ownership: Centralized websites represent one end of the spectrum,
   as users are tied to the website. Federated systems offer a slight
   improvement; however, an inherent asymmetry exists, where site owners can
   cancel users, but users cannot cancel site owners. Solid is a federated
   system and shares this limitation. Nevertheless, allowing migration from
   one site to another could be a potential solution. While Solid doesn't
   currently support this feature, the use of relative URIs may lay the
   groundwork for it.
   3.

   Data expression: Central websites typically provide limited options for
   user-generated content creation. APIs offer some improvement, but they
   often conceal data. A universal API permits decentralized data storage,
   akin to writing on paper, but with the added benefit of hyperlinks to form
   a graph. Solid excels in this area, enabling high flexibility through
   Turtle and JSON-LD.

So, there are various forms of decentralization, and each element of that
is part of evaluating an overall system.

I think it will be a quite good innovation.  My slight concern is that html
is nowhere mentioned in the spec.  So it might be underspecified how
developers interact with solid, for example, in the browser.