Re: Principles of Identity in Web Architecture

Jay Graber’s ‘blob’ for Bluesky collates digital concepts and protocols
that are ‘digital identity’ related. She adopts a definition that is
somewhat reflexive — an identity is something that has a digital identity.

I appreciate of course that her doc is more a page of notes than a
meticulous report, and I always enjoy reading what Jay has to say, but I
raise the point to try and underline my previous observations here.

Digital technologists (speaking in general, not about Jay or anyone here)
have a history of fitting the human to the code, of striving to fit human
community to IT schema. But the world does not work like this. Human
identity does not work like this.

The W3C's design principles <https://www.w3.org/Consortium/mission>
recognise that the web exists for people, and not the other way around. If
the TAG is to make an original contribution in the context of the digital
mediation and augmentation of human identity then it should bring this lens
to the party imho. If more of us do not, then the code will suffocate.

In that light, and on the basis that I can’t help it seems but share links
in this thread, this report by the Omidyar Network and Caribou Digital is
time well spent ... Identities: New Practices in a Connected Age
<https://www.identitiesproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Identities-Report.pdf>.