Re: Principles of Identity in Web Architecture

It seems, following Henry’s introduction of HoTT here, that we need to add
mathematicians to that list of disciplines to have around the table!

As Melvin picked up from generative-identity.org, we (AKASHA Foundation)
think it useful in this context to consider conceptualizations of identity
as noun-like or verb-like (per Buckminster Fuller’s “I Seem To Be A Verb
<https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/I_Seem_to_Be_a_Verb.html?id=wBUJrgEACAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y>
.”)

The primary characteristic of verb-like conceptualizations is their
accommodating and enabling change; hence the direct consequences for
psychological, sociological, and ecological health. Who I am encompasses a
constant flux of informational diffusion and intermixing, interfacial
constructions and experiences, continuously revised narratives, arrangings
and organizings. At least that’s my way of putting it. Professor Kathleen
Wallace is far more eloquent in this essay — You are a network
<https://aeon.co/essays/the-self-is-not-singular-but-a-fluid-network-of-identities>
.

I know I’m repeating myself here when I note that verb-like identity
conceptualizations are edge-centric rather than node-centric. It was me
Henry who noted earlier here that the designers of the Internet and the WWW
did not include human identity in their schema. And URIs — most evidently
as URLs — are very much about the node and not the edge by my
understanding. They address things, resources. Others here have far deeper
understanding about such things (no pun intended), so do please correct me
if I have erred.

Verb-like conceptualizations don’t appear to attract much attention in the
design of digital systems, perhaps because, while being dominant in our
everyday lives, we don’t ‘see’ them in operation and / or no-one has yet
perceived ROI in designing for them.

Noun-like identity conceptualizations on the other hand lack adaptability
by design. The comparatively recent bureaucratisation of identity (legal
identity) is noun-like.

In my first public critique of SSI
<https://akasha.org/blog/2019/09/02/generative-identity-beyond-self-sovereignty>
a couple of years ago, I write:

“Surely one of the biggest question marks must be the ease with which
noun-like and verb-like conceptualisations might co-exist. Perhaps there's
a future in which only the latter are necessary, but a co-existence will be
required for some good time to get us that far.

“It could be that the noun-like require entirely different protocols to the
verb-like, and rigorous effort is made to design appropriate and enduring
sociotechnological constraints to prevent the otherwise inevitable
noun-like creep.

“Or perhaps a particular quality of verb-like instantiations enables it to
stabilise in similarly defined rare exception. I was presented with a word
I didn't previously know in a recent conversation with Jonathan Donner —
gerund — a verb form which functions as a noun. Who knew?!”