Re: Principles of Identity in Web Architecture

Thanks Melvin. I will try to rise up to your invitation by exploring the
broader context.

Timbl’s 2007 post
<https://web.archive.org/web/20160713021037/http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/215>
on the “giant global graph” includes the progression:

   - "It isn't the cables, it is the computers which are interesting"
   - “It isn't the computers, but the documents which are interesting"
   - "It's not the documents, it is the things they are about which are
   important"

“Biologists are interested in proteins, drugs, genes. Businesspeople are
interested in customers, products, sales. We are all interested in friends,
family, colleagues, and acquaintances.”

The likes of Facebook and LinkedIn typify "the social graph" in the web 2
paradigm. Famously, Facebook popularized the term in 2007 when it was used
to explain how Facebook would take advantage of the relationships between
individuals to offer a richer online experience. Facebook values 'its'
social graph more than it does any individual user / used-by. No further
comment is needed on this undertaking.

The web 2 use of the term has cemented the idea that any given social
network has one social graph, albeit dynamic. The delimited network becomes
the singular lens by which ‘the graph’ is supposedly constructed,
maintained, and contextualised, and some would consider the web to
constitute the ultimate social network.

Of course, such delimiting is entirely artificial. There are many other
contexts unavoidably in play, not least the non-technologised. Any boundary
drawn around 'a network' of one million people does not have one social
graph but rather many millions of social graphs at any moment. Any
technical development working to the contrary can only serve to shackle
rather than liberate.

Perhaps the most efficient way to throw a light on the inappropriate
framing of human identity by information technologists in general is to
point out that, other than in bureaucratised contexts, human identity is
edge- not node-centric. It is co-constitutive and reciprocally defining
with relationships and information exchange (and so contexts); from which
we can also determine that — again outside legal framing — there is no such
thing as personal data in the real world, only interpersonal data.

Gregory Bateson observed that relationships are immanent in information
exchange [Steps to an Ecology of Mind, 1972]. Riffing off Margaret
Wheatley’s work [A Simpler Way, 1998], identities are immanent in
relationships immanent in information exchange. Any attempt to insert the
engineering maxim of separation of concerns is destined to fail miserably
at great cost (see my Good-ID post
<https://www.good-id.org/en/articles/how-the-separation-and-unseparation-of-concerns-contribute-to-ssis-dystopian-promise/>
).

Your reply here notes that “Alice can have many identities.” I would say
that there’s no “can” about it, and *sameAs* approaches may work to deny
this left unconstrained.

You note a complexity explosion. Quite. Unavoidably. And I suspect far
greater, hopefully, than many might consider from your observation.
To treat human identity as node-like, to consider it separable from
relationships and information exchange (and context), is to bureaucratise
all human relations given the ease with which the frictionlessness of
digitalization eases its way into things. In the context of SSI, I call out
this emergent effect for what it is — malignant.

Not all “things” are equal, and in the context here we must distinguish
human beings (no pun intended). When it comes to human identity, it’s not
the things documents describe that’s important, but diverse
sociotechnological capabilities to support and grow psychological,
sociological, and ecological health.

For me, this challenge and opportunity represents the beating heart of Web
Science.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 at 15:50, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> to interop with heterogeneous systems.  Because that isnt happening at the
> moment.  We have a balkanization.
>

>> It is reassuring to see you distinguish “identity” and identifiers in the
>> context of humans, but your email here indicates to me that you still
>> consider Alice to have just the one identity. This aligns of course with
>> the comparatively recent (centuries) bureaucratisation of identity, aka
>> legal identity, and the imperative for Sybil resistance in democratic,
>> taxation, and wealth distribution contexts, but I have yet to find another
>> discipline beyond law and information technology conceiving identity as
>> either singular or enduring. Quite the opposite.
>>

> You raise a good point.  Alice can have many identities.  Some systems
> have a "sameAs" term which allows identities to be "smushed" together in a
> certain way.  I didnt mention this in the post, simply because I wanted to
> limit it to a few items.  And composite identity does explode the complexity
>

>> There is no such thing as 'digital identity' in the context of humans,
>> only digitally mediated and augmented human identity, but that mediation
>> and augmentation goes to the heart of the human condition with consequences
>> for our psychological, sociological, and ecological health. This is
>> existential stuff.
>>
>> See https://generative-identity.org
>>
>> The SSI community claims to be creating the “identity layer” omitted by
>> both the designers of the Internet and the designers of the Web. On the
>> basis that we still have no widespread appreciation for the complexities,
>> let alone agreement on how best to digitally mediate and augment human
>> identity for psychological, sociological, and ecological health, I
>> celebrate those designers for pushing it out. Nevertheless, it appears the
>> time is upon us.
>>
>> Please let me know if and how I and the AKASHA Foundation may help.
>>

> I'd love to hear how many of the 5 principles that I lay out could apply
> to your architecture, and see where the gaps are
>

>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Philip Sheldrake.
>>

>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 at 12:03, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> At TPAC 2012 I proposed to timbl, a modular approach to Identity on the
>>> Web.
>>>
>>> Back then the majority of systems tightly coupled together, Identity,
>>> authorization and authentication.  My proposal was that the Identity part
>>> should stand on its own merits, and be a modular piece of a wider
>>> architecture
>>>
>>> To my surprise and delight, he agreed with this, and persuaded our group
>>> to take this approach, and rewrite specs into what was to become the WebID
>>> suite
>>>
>>> *Architectural Principles*
>>>
>>> I wanted now to propose some further architectural principles, based on
>>> what we've learnt in the following decade, and align it with web

>>> 2. Identifiers are a string of characters, a global primary key
>>> 3. Your identity are keys,values,links tied to your identifer
>>> 4. Your identity is protocol, medium and transport agnostic