Re: Fwd: Digital Sovereignty - was: Co-Immunology and the Web

Hi Henry -

Thanks for bearing with us and apologies for not getting a reply to you sooner. As you may glean from the level of traffic on this list, we have moved much of our workflow out of email in favour of GitHub issues registries, such as in our Design Principles repository. We also publish a guide of working with the TAG which goes into more detail on that. We did discuss your email in one of our recent video calls, and you can read those minutes. One question that came up in discussion: last year in our Ethical Web Principles finding we said “When we are adding new web technologies and platforms, we will build them to cross regional and national boundaries.” In other words, the web should not be built to reinforce national or territorial boundaries. This seems to be at tension with the notion of “weaving the law into the web.” We also have some mixed experience with "weaving the law into the web" stemming from the Do Not Track work – and privacy-related work in general where we have struggled to build bridges between how web technology works and the patchwork of legislation that covers tracking, personal data storage and use.

To some degree, we are wondering what you are looking for from the TAG in this instance, but this sounds like a topic that might be appropriate for a future W3C workshop?

Thanks,Dan