From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:48 AM
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Google Wants to Kill the URL

Do people really type in URLs? I'd wager that most people go via Google (sorry...I mean they go via "their favourite search engine").

Even your URL in your signature, Larry...I can't actually imagine myself typing that; if I didn't click on it I'd just go search for your name and click the top result!

So perhaps the issues raised by John amount to whether some fraudster could convince me that I've found your site:

* first by getting their site into your search results;

* and then second, after I've clicked the URL by making the site look ok, having certificates, etc.

Whichever way you look at it, it doesn't seem to be a problem with URLs per se (unless we think there is a problem with binary and electricity, too), but with the layers that are placed on top of them.