achieving reduced latency in a congested large network

From: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:35:19 +0530
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Hello,
    I was thinking to bring this questions to TAG here, and think its
relevant for the greatly distributed nature of www.

I read recently about a network architectural pattern, that its possible
_to achieve reduced long distance latency_ in a congested network like www,
i.e irrespective of the size of network.

My question is, is this merely in theoretical domain, or is physically
achievable by current means?

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi