From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:24:38 -0500
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Public TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>

On 1/29/2015 12:46 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but transforming content is perfectly acceptable according to HTTP,*provided*  that the "no-transform" directive isn't present.

That's what I thought from skimming the specs, so not really bad news and
the clarification is much appreciated.

My main point was that the TAG can do a service by explaining such facts in
it's findings. Maybe or maybe not there's a recommendation to be made for
content providers to use "no-transform", but that seems to prohibit other
potentially useful transformations, such as downsampling images for small
screens.

Also maybe or maybe not HTTP could usefully be extended with headers
providing better controls, but I don't have specific proposals to offer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Noah