I strongly agree. See my post from earlier today [1], which I think is
pretty much aligned with what you've just written, Tim.

 > This community should move from crystal-ball gazing as to how courts
 > might interpret laws and regulations which are out there
 > toward defining a protocol, where
 > necessary including policy pieces as well as the technical bits.

Yes. I do wish it were clearer from the RFCs that inserting adds violates
the technical bits of the protocol. However, the provision for transforming
proxies makes that a bit unclear to me.

Do we have a clear answer on the technical bits: does insertion of an
advertisement violate the technical specifications for HTTP? If so, where
is the pertinent specification text? Thanks!

As you say, we could also deal with this as a "policy piece" instead or in
addition.

Noah

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2015Jan/0199.html