comments on the package format document

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:07:45 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
Hi guys

two comments
a) “exascerbate” is spelled exacerbate

b) you might suggest that, for the purposes of URL resolution, elements in the package ‘shadow’ resources of the same name in the place the package came from.  I think you imply this.  Maybe you state it and I missed it.

Example:

you fetch a package from http://www.example.com/resources/stuff.pkg.  It contains three resources alice.html, bob.css, and ./robin.js.  The resource index.html also exists at http://www.example.com/resources/index.html

index.html refers to  http://www.example.com/resources/stuff.pkg#url=alice.html.  alice.html has a relative reference to bob.css and so does index.html.  They both resolve to the file in the package, even though they are not using the fragment syntax; it is as if the client-side cache has been pre-populated with the contents of the package.

(This trick is used in, in other places, ISO BMFF files such as MP4 and MP21).

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.