Hi Mark,

I saw that last year. It's disturbing that the people who regulate technology either fundamentally misunderstand it, or purposefully misinterpret it.

HTTP caching is not mandated, it's an optimisation, and content providers are given explicit controls over it by the protocol (as per <http://httpwg.github.io/specs/rfc7234.html>). The "allegations" should be more about how some networks disregard these controls and cache things against content providers' wishes.

Neither Cache-Control nor HTTPS is "undermining standards" -- it's utilising them.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/