Re: Preparing to Publish HTTPS Finding

I don't think anyone has asked Why Now?

Is it because the NSA made the entire Internet security infrastructure look
like swiss cheese? I can't think of any other circumstantial reason as to
why this is being pushed now... Why not two years ago? We had the same
problems with http back then. Why now?

If it is indeed the Snowden revelations and the growing fear of
surveillance on people's mind that has prompted this response on the part
of the EFF, TAG/W3C and other "concerned" parties then moving to https
won't put a insurmountable obstacle to any government spying on its people
and people everywhere but it will definitely fool the not so savvy masses
into a false sense of security, believing that https means real privacy.

If there was real motivation to improve security on the web/Internet this
discussion would be much bigger and much wider and would include all kinds
of research efforts from academia and industry and not be so narrow minded.

Please get real and look at how you're being perceived by the thousands of
extremely relevant non-participants. A lot of the people whose
participation would be extremely don't even wish to participate in the
discussion because of how loud their bullshit detector is ringing in their
ears. They can't even hear you say that anything you do will matter because
the whole act is clearly theatrical in nature if you're not reaching out to
top researchers and practitioners in this field and soliciting a healthy
range of ideas and solutions to the problem of assuring privacy and
security on the web.

There should be an international conference to address the societal root
causes for mass surveillance (a healthy society does not need constant
monitoring) and how the web can be made stronger and more secure. In the
absence of that this looks like theatrics.