Re: connect

Roy T. Fielding writes:

> Neither one is indicated by the status code.

Indeed, as I said.

> The status codes are used to indicate what the user agent can do in the
> absence of a 200 response. Both 300 and 406 can be used in response to
> proactive negotiation, though that would be considered very unusual and
> tend to occur only with resources that are specifically intended to treat
> negotiation as either a failure condition or a please-choose-yourself
> requirement.  For the most part, such resources are only found in APIs
> and intranet services, not on the wider Internet, and certainly not
> something you would statistically encounter in a campus proxy.

As I said.

> The most common form of reactive negotiation are the links to various
> language versions found on many home pages (usually on flag images).

Obviously you can call that conneg if you choose to, you wrote the
spec.  But it feels misleading to me, insofar as it's _way_ above the
protocol level.

> Finally, making generalized conclusions

Generalised?  I did my best to express my conclusions in a _very_
circumscribed fashion.

> about all use of HTTP based on only the internal traffic

As I thought I made clear, those logs are from proxies at the margin
of the university's web -- they are _entirely_ external.

> of a major University is the moral equivalent of medical studies on
> teenage boys being extrapolated as the basis for all human behavior.
> Don't do that.

Thanks for the advice.  160 million log entries is a better basis for
assertions about patterns of HTTP usage than no log entries, IMO.
Happy to hear about other sources of empirical evidence.

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk