Re: Insertion of adverisements (was: Re: Draft finding - "Transitioning the Web to HTTPS")

> On 2 Feb 2015, at 16:51, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://github.com/w3ctag/wiki/wiki/HTTPS-and-Advertising
>
> Noah was talking about the legitimacy of e.g. Comcast or Verizon
> inserting advertisements and/or tracking identifiers into non-TLS
> traffic. Not about the difficulty of getting ad networks to support
> TLS.
>
> (I personally think that irrespective of whether it is legitimate,
> it's another good reason to move to TLS. Technically impossible beats
> theoretically forbidden.)

Right. I’m with you. To be clear: I wasn’t talking about tracking identifiers inserted into http headers, which I view as an abomination.

I had actually been meaning to start the other conversation - the conversation about third party content in the ad space (which seems larger and more important for the web generally) - anyway, so I’m afraid I hijacked your email, Noah, to do so. My comments still stand - https and advertising seem like conflicting requirements to many and I want to bottom that out.

Dan