Fwd: Fingerprinting guidance update; responding to feedback, Note publication?

Hi TAG,

In response to your draft feedback, our subsequent conversations contextualizing that feedback and the Unsactioned finding, I've revised the draft fingerprinting guidance for Web specification authors. I've included a short summary of those changes below. In short, I've tried to make changes as you all suggested, or at least provide more clarification about the best practices. In particular, I've moved up part of the section on feasibility to an earlier section ("What can we do about it?"), to emphasize what kind of mitigations are possible and what spec changes alone won't be able to prevent.

If you have a chance, please look over the revised document and see if this resolves your general concerns or if you see other ways to improve the guidance. I've suggested to the Privacy Interest Group that we publish this as a draft Interest Group Note soonish; it will still change after that, it would just be a clearer indication of who's working on it and a way to ask for review. I've also noted in the Status section that we plan to work with the TAG on this document, which I think was a conclusion in the previous TAG meeting.

Thanks again,
Nick

Feedback from you all:
* https://github.com/w3ctag/spec-reviews/blob/master/2015/05/fingerprint.md <https://github.com/w3ctag/spec-reviews/blob/master/2015/05/fingerprint.md>
* https://github.com/w3ctag/meetings/blob/gh-pages/2015/telcons/05-27-fingerprinting-redux-minutes.md <https://github.com/w3ctag/meetings/blob/gh-pages/2015/telcons/05-27-fingerprinting-redux-minutes.md>
* my hand-scribbled notes from that call
* https://w3ctag.github.io/unsanctioned-tracking/ <https://w3ctag.github.io/unsanctioned-tracking/>