Re: W3C URN scheme 'root' doesn't exist?

On May 9, 2014, at 12:50 , Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 May 2014 21:29, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> It strikes me that the TAG might have an opinion, and indeed Ian suggested such...
>
> Im curious, when would the w3c want to use a URN root, instead of an HTTP URL from the root
>
> http://www.w3.org/
>
> Maybe it's just never come up?

Maybe it hasn’t.  The example at hand is instructive; MPEG wanted it to be possible for various organizations to define ‘role’s using names that didn’t conflict.  Since mpeg and 3gpp both had URN name roots, URNs seemed ideal.  It is indeed just a name, and there is nothing to point at.

People have used reversed DNS-names (org.w3.html5.kind…) for this as well, but this has issues when domain names change hands, and so on.

In theory (I know it’s not always practice) an HTTP URL actually refers to something, and when it doesn’t, it seems heavy or wrong.