Re: Conflating "see elsewhere" with "too large", Re: draft of 209 proposal

* Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> [2014-03-17 11:11+0100]
> On 2014-02-24 15:37, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> >* David Booth <david@dbooth.org> [2014-02-24 09:26-0500]
> >>
> >>You meant this URI, right?
> >>http://www.w3.org/2014/02/2xx/draft-prudhommeaux-http-status-209
> >
> >yep, i do that a lot.
> >thanks and apologies.
>
> Among other concerns, I'm worried that this proposal tries to
> address two very different uses cases under the same status code.
>
> If a client receives this new status code, how is it supposed to
> make any use of it unless it knows which of the mentioned conditions
> apply?

>From HTTP's perspective, all that matters is that the person asked for
X, got Y and Y is NOT a content-negotiated form of X. Whether X was a
person or a prohibitively large list doesn't matter to HTTP.

--
-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509
mobile: +33.6.80.80.35.59