From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:39:44 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@W3.ORG>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>, Public TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>
Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Reading between the lines there, it seems like networking has come
> quite a ways in Africa.

In terms of bandwidth, rural America is the new Africa. I could move to
Estonia *or* Senegal and get much better broadband Internet service than
I currently have here, cheaper. I still miss the Tier 2 T1 line I used
to have in my home from 1995-2000 when I was an ISP.

Internet access here remains a SPOF proposition, where one provider
being down usually means all providers (and cash registers) are down.
If I were still in the ISP business, I'd still be running squid. Stale
copies of, say, local and regional newspapers, is still a higher level
of customer service than nothing at all.

After purchasing Qwest, CenturyLink de-activated the old microwave link
following Hwy 131, which used to be the SPOF before the fiber-optic
link was installed following Hwy 40; ending about a dozen years where
the former was a failover for the latter.

-Eric