On 13 December 2014 at 17:02, Marc Fawzi <marc.fawzi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will do , but if the server's public key is swapped by an attacker the
> server won't be able to decrypt the request that was encrypted with the
> attacker's key, so that would be a way to detect an attack.
>
> Just trying to get to the essence if why Web Crypto exists and if there us
> any scenario under which it can make CA's redundant. After all, CA scheme
> is not without problems. Even if everything about issuing and renewing
> certificates is automated it's still an old world paradigm where some
> central authority is in charge of issuing users the right to a very basic
> activity (communicating between A and B) it's like the Department of Motor
> Vehicles. At the very least, it's about record keeping. At the very worst
> CA's will be able to revoke certificates or be compromised by powerful
> parties.
>
> With all the brains and deep practical expertise at TAG and IETF couldn't
> the web get a completely decentralized security model? Has the TAG proven
> the theoretical impossibility of having a purely p2p security model that
> does not involve CAs?
>
> this ultimate question is useless to ask anywhere except here. So I hope
> it justifies all the other related questions ...

Note : wikipedia on X.509 "It can be used in a peer-to-peer, web of trust,
but was rarely used that way"

Three projects that I know of that try to decentralize SSL/TLS are:

1. WebID TLS -- http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/ ,
http://webid.info/
2. Convergence -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergence_(SSL)
3. Monkeysphere -- http://web.monkeysphere.info/

There may be be more.

Some members of the TAG have been quite helpful with (1), but none of these
have yet achieved a critical mass, as it is hard to convince browser
manufacturers to back decentralized SSL efforts, at least so far.
Hopefully 2015 and letsencrypt may mark a turning point.

I think it would be a good goal for the TAG to push for a more secure web
in parallel to pushing for an easier and cheaper SSL and one with more
opportunities for decentralized innovation to be on a level playing field
with centralized.