From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 21:55:44 +0100
Cc: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, Marc Fawzi <marc.fawzi@gmail.com>, Chris Palmer <palmer@google.com>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Just for the anecdote, my personal website is run with CloudFlare and I've used StartSSL certificates. Both services free.

I have never been able to perceive the CloudFlare performance advantage.
I'm already at the end of the cert period for my StartSSL certs… it's a hassle I haven't managed to address since a bit.
Sure…. just a hobby project.

Maybe what would be left to invent is a UI that just says "it's crypted but no clue (except DNS) who that is" and the business of issue certs would just be simple. But not UI has appeared doing that.

paul