On 10 December 2014 at 06:11, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

> Mainstream commercial providers like SSLs.com offer single-domain certs
> for <$10/year, wild-card certs “*.w3.org” for <$100/year.  Up till now I
> haven’t recommended the free services because the low commercial prices
> actually pay for considerable documentation and reasonably slick UIs.
> LetsEncrypt might change that.
>
> But I really can’t take seriously the objection that cost is a serious
> obstacle to widespread TLS deployment.

Thanks for the data point. Those prices are certainly competitive.

It's easy, and perhaps understandable, to feel the cost/effort of TLS
deployment is not an obstacle.  And in many cases it is not.

However, as the web rolls out to the while planet, it may be less
affordable to the long tail.  In some cases it may make the difference
between a successful hobby project or not. Let's not forget that he web
itself started as a hobby project :)