Re: Web Browser / Digital Textbook Browser as Desktop Application: Interprocess Communication, The Facilitation of Education Technology Features and Education Workflow Scenarios across Platforms

Hi Adam,

On August 11, 2014 at 1:08:40 PM, Adam Sobieski (adamsobieski@hotmail.com) wrote:
> > Marcos,
>
> Thank you. Though the ideas are most probably interesting to
> many or all of the scientists here, this might be the wrong mailing
> list to broach such broad topics.

Yeah, this is not the list for such discussions. As you probably know, the perfect outlet for scientific/peer-reviewed research for web-related stuff is the WWW conference (http://www2015.wwwconference.org/).

Have you tried publishing your ideas and research there?

> In addition to code samples, a number of scientists are interested
> in seeing storyboards and videos of new, innovative, educational
> software features and I would hope we could find some ways to consider
> facilitating such features as use cases for various Web technologies
> discussed by many W3C groups.

That would be great and really helpful. However, they need to be in the right format for this community (i.e., in a way that is digestible to the non-scientists who work on Web standards) - otherwise, you risk, despite your good intentions and best efforts, getting an adverse reaction from the W3C community - as unfortunately happened on this list.

When you want to propose new things for the Web - consider these examples, which have helped, or are helping, guide standardization at the W3C:

* http://usecases.responsiveimages.org/
* http://w3c-webmob.github.io/wake-lock-use-cases/
* http://www.w3.org/TR/netinfo-usecases/

A different, yet extremely successful approach (using an explainer):
* https://github.com/slightlyoff/ServiceWorker/blob/master/explainer.md

I've got some rough notes on how one can help shape a standard (which we, at Mozilla, hope to turn into a more coherent article... it may be of help):

* https://etherpad.mozilla.org/futurestandards

You might also want to watch, Domenic Denicola's talk "How to win friends and influence standards bodies":

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hneN6aW-d9w

All the best!