Re: Recent TAG impacts on APIs

Hi Domenic,
Sorry, can you clarify a few things below...

On April 17, 2014 at 1:29:20 PM, Domenic Denicola (domenic@domenicdenicola.com) wrote:
> > - Relatedly, we talked about how proper subclassing support
> in the platform is still largely a work in progress---no web APIs
> support it right now, and it's very tricky.

Do you mean with sub-classing host objects? As in:

class MyClass extends HTMLElement{ ... }?

> WebIDL doesn't have
> much support for the concept.

Well, none I guess in the case above. But it does support inheritance:
http://heycam.github.io/webidl/#dfn-inherit

> I think this is an action area for
> TAG work that I would be happy to spearhead, given my experience
> with designing subclassable primitives with ES6 promises.
> The web audio group will likely be our first consumer of this design
> advice, as they urgently want subclassing to work in order for
> users to be able to create custom audio nodes without having to
> reimplement all of the complex audio algorithms from scratch.

It would be great to sort this out in the platform. Hopefully this will lead to the ability to subclass a larger set of primitives (or even to construct them, like EventTarget).

Great work by the new TAG members so far, btw! For the Screen Lock API, we've also been relying on the TAG's promises document. So you can add that to the list of those of us making almost daily use of the stuff you guys are producing. I'm not embarrassed to say that I'm learning a lot through applying your guidance to various things, so please keep it up! :D