Re: Some Feedback On Our Developer Meetup

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:03:37 +1000, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 16 June 2013 at 20:55, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:40:11 +1000, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com
>> (mailto:w3c@marcosc.com)> wrote:
>> > This is why I argued that Promises and NavController should be seen >
>> as a TAG deliverable (or an outcome of the TAG - I mean, 3 tag members,
>> > not including me, worked together on those).
>>
>> I think that's a terrible "layering violation". I have worked on making
>> sure the web apps group can have good dinners, but I don't think that
>> means I should regard the dinner as an outcome of the group.
>
> Yes, this was the conclusion at the last F2F actually. The TAG is good
> at identifying, and potentially kicking off, some work items.

Kicking off work items turns into a layering violation almost immediately.
On the other hand, getting work done reasonably well trumps theoretical
purity (although we will have to pay for that later).
[...]

>> > We should also now start pointing people to GitHub… maybe w3c comms >
>> team can help tweet about some of this stuff. Their reach is pretty
>> > massive on twitter.
>>
>> Updating your webpage would be a good start.
>
> Web pages? Do people still use those?

Yeah. Compared to your mostly invisible pages on github, and even W3C's
twitter reach, search engines actually have quite a large footprint.
Barely managing to appear in them in english suggests some work that
should be done. And having a pile of outdated stuff as your most public
face might match what developers do, but isn't helpful when they are
trying to share some of their scarce spare time...

> we should probably also make an iOS app, just to be safe:)

I'd be fine with that. Right after you learn to communicate in say 3 or 4
of the world's top ten languages. Despite some crossover, most major
languages have essentially monolingual cultures even in developer
circles...

cheers