Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

All of the 4 characters are important and deserve support. And I agree that
they are a priority.

For the transition, TR46 supports the desired display for users, which is
far more important than distinguishing two different sites. That is, if you
type "größer.at <http://xn--grsser-xxa.at>" you'll see
"größer.at<http://xn--grsser-xxa.at>"
as the display in your address bar, and if you type
"grösser.at<http://xn--grsser-xxa.at>"
you'll see "grösser.at <http://xn--grsser-xxa.at>" as the display. They
will go to the same IDNA2003 address until we can flip off the transitional
bit.

(Note that we might be able to get general agreement among major clients to
support these on a per-TLD basis. So if .AT bundle/blocked ß in all of its
subdomains, then ß could be allowed in any .at domain name.)

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*