RE: AppURL.org : 1. Pick a URL scheme

I think you should write up what you're doing as an Internet Draft and ask the IETF applications area to review it.
Despite the closing of the IRI working group, the IETF still manages the registry of URL schemes, and if there's a system for dynamically allocating schemes, explaining that to the IETF satisfactorily would be very useful.

If you need any help doing that, let me know, I'm glad to advise.

From: wiseguy@gmail.com [mailto:wiseguy@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Liron Shapira
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:31 PM
To: Tim Berners-Lee
Cc: contact; Larry Masinter; Yves Lafon; TAG List; Leigh Klotz
Subject: Re: AppURL.org : 1. Pick a URL scheme

Tim,

An honor. Your work instructs ours. Our answers enclosed. We welcome a chance to review with you by phone or in person to get your feedback.

Liron Shapira, CTO (liron@quixey.com<mailto:liron@quixey.com>)
Leigh Klotz, Chief Architect (klotz@quixey.com<mailto:klotz@quixey.com>)
Quixey (http://www.quixey.com<http://www.quixey.com/>)

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org<mailto:timbl@w3.org>> wrote:
Hmmm You are proposing that you take over the role
of making up new URL scheme names from the incumbents.

No, we want DNS to take over the role of making up URL schemes for apps. We want apps to use the system that exists today and works. We think the industry needs this as a stopgap measure until http-triggered app launching<http://appurl.org/docs/#http-triggered-app-launching> is universally supported.

A technical question:  Is the architecture such that if my client finds
a new URL scheme xxx.yy with a dot in it then it should look up
a some http://xxx.tt/appurl.json file to find out about it,
or is it that it should consult a central registry at appurl.org<http://appurl.org/> ?

At the moment you suggest people edit the URL registries themselves,
but how do you suggest this work in the future?

I think the answer is that AppURL is a way for mapping http URLs to custom-scheme URLs, and not the other way around.

Best,

Tim Berners-Lee

PS: On http://appurl.org<http://appurl.org/>, nothing on your website says who you are.
An anonymous group?

No, not anonymous. The initiative is supported by a handful of young companies, led by Quixey (http://www.quixey.com<http://www.quixey.com/>), that want to fix the problem. We at Quixey originated the current form of the effort but want to move it into the mainstream. We are recruiting supporters but also welcome the chance to move this indoors to an existing public-minded organization.

One way is to create a W3C Community Group called Apps Web with the goal of enabling native apps to be part of the web.

We can show two working documents, the AppURL draft we have and an App Metadata Ontology we've written, which uses Semantic Web descriptions to describe a taxonomy of app metadata, along with serializations in RDF (Turtle), JSON, XML, RDFa, and Schema.org markup.

Quixey's W3C AC representative, Leigh Klotz, had some discussions with Ivan Hermann and Philippe Le Hégaret along these lines in December 2012. We think now is the time to move forward. We are willing to chair the Community Group to get it started.

--
Liron Shapira, CTO
408.621.6667 | 278 Castro St, Mountain View, CA 94041

[http://s7.postimage.org/hw7cf8b17/07_Taglinehorz_Gradient.png]

Hmmm You are proposing that you take over the role
of making up new URL scheme names from the incumbents.

A technical question:  Is the architecture such that if my client finds
a new URL scheme xxx.yy with a dot in it then it should look up
a some http://xxx.tt/appurl.json file to find out about it,
or is it that it should consult a central registry at appurl.org<http://appurl.org> ?

At the moment you suggest people edit the URL registries themselves,
but how do you suggest this work in the future?

Best,

Tim Berners-Lee

PS: On http://appurl.org, nothing on your website says who you are.
An anonymous group?

Tim Berners-Lee  http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee
Director, World Wide Web Consortium.   timbl@w3.org<mailto:timbl@w3.org>           +1-617-253-5702
Prof of Engineering, Computer Science and Artificial Research Laboratory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 32 Vassar St, Cambridge MA 02139 USA

$ whois appurl.org<http://appurl.org>

Domain ID:D167137974-LROR
Domain Name:APPURL.ORG<http://APPURL.ORG>
Created On:17-Nov-2012 09:57:49 UTC
Last Updated On:02-Aug-2013 01:20:25 UTC
Expiration Date:17-Nov-2015 09:57:49 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, LLC (R91-LROR)
Status:CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED