Re: Precision and error handling (was URL work in HTML 5)

Edward O'Connor wrote:

> > The idea of the HTML parser is that it always produces a DOM that
> > can serialize out into a document conforming to the author spec.
>
> No, that's not the idea at all.

OK, then I'm really confused after years of HTML 5 folks telling me I
ought to replace my XSLT/RELAX NG/Schematron input-validation toolchain
with an HTML 5 parser.  How do I disallow a user from posting an <xmp>
tag, if the HTML 5 parser accepts it fine?  And why, if I'm processing
HTML embedded in Atom, would I want to use a parser which spits out
elements like <head> and <body> which don't even belong in that context?

Not trying to be belligerent, just trying to understand why everyone
says I'm doing it wrong, by not using a library that doesn't do what I
want in the first place.  I'm just not seeing the value of the HTML 5
parser for input validation (or, heck, any validation), so I fail to
see why I should drink the be-all-end-all kool-aid surrounding it.

-Eric