Re: issue-57 background reading for F2F (short required reading)

Just to weigh in, David is exactly right here. We all feel intuitively that when we use words in English and manage to convey our thoughts adequately, that our words are unambiguous; because if they had been ambiguous, then something would have gone wrong in the communication, and we would have been obliged to repair the resulting damage. (Which does sometimes happen, of course.) But the fact that communication was successful, that you "understood what I meant", does **not** imply that the words I was using were conveying unambiguous meanings, or even that what I had in mind matches exactly with what you have in mind after understanding me. It means only that enough commonality of meaning or reference was achieved for the pragmatic purposes of that particular conversation. If I say, pass me that book on the chair, the fact that you pass it to me does not imply that we have exactly the same concepts of book or chair. Or even of what it means to pass something, for that matter.

This is not the forum to argue cases in philosophy of language, but for a practical everyday argument, just look at what happens to English prose when there is a real need to pin down meanings and referents with enough precision to survive many subsequent readings by a variety of readers: legal contracts, diplomatic communications, statements of regulations and laws and patent applications. Hardly any word is simply used: almost all of them are given explicit definitions, often with special 'guard' language, for example explicitly denying what might have been normal or intuitive understandings of the words. Often, special words are used which have exactly defined meanings in special contexts, like all the latin stuff on legal prose. This is not normal language: to even use it requires specialized training, and it is dangerous for non-experts to attempt, exactly because it has hard unambiguous meanings which are independent of context.

This has nothing to do with logical inference, by the way. And it doesn't only apply when you are "doing logic" and can be ignored or even denied when you are in the "real world" or just "being practical". It is a basic point about ALL COMMUNICATION, BETWEEN PEOPLE OR MACHINES, USING ANY SYMBOLIC LANGUAGE. Got that?

Graham says:
" I think it's maybe unhelpful to treat
>> the consequences of RDF's logical formalism as the whole story.  There is the
>> matter of *intended* meaning of a URI which, as you indicate, can never be
>> completely nailed down formally, does exist pragmatically and unambiguously in
>> many cases"

Wrong. It does NOT exist, in almost all cases. And it can't be nailed down, period: formality has nothing to do with the issue here.

If I talk about the date that Hilary climbed Everest, you know what the word "Everest" means, right? Im talking about the famous mountain, yes. But what exactly is a mountain? I mean, its made of rock (and ice and stuff), so we are talking about a solid lump of stuff, right? So how much does it weigh? What is its volume? Do questions like that even have a meaning? Some people think so, others don't. Lets stick to geography: where are the geographical boundaries of Everest? How does one draw a line around one mountain in a range like the Himalayas? Wars have been fought over questions like this. So what, exactly and uniquely, are we referring to when we say "Everest"? If one of us is Chinese and the other is Nepalese, we might well have very different referents for the word, and yet we can still agree that, whatever it is, it was first climbed by Hilary and Tensing. Or take the example Graham uses: http://dbpedia.org/resource/The_Lord_of_the_Rings  refers to the "work", not to a web page or a particular copy. Sounds good, but what exactly is a "work"? One view is that it is the class of all of the copies of it. Another view is that it is some Platonic entity, a kind of book-in-the-sky. Another is that it is a mental entity, the thought in the mind of the author. And (I am sure) so on. Now, you may say, it doesn't matter "what it really is", only that people agree that they are talking about 'the work' as opposed to 'the website' or 'a copy', and only this three-way distinction matters. Yes, exactly my point: communication only requires that we agree on intended referents well enough to achieve the purpose of the communcation. It does NOT require that there is a SINGLE referent that is UNIQUELY identified by all users of the word. And in fact, that is good news, because if it did depend upon this, we would almost never be able to communicate. A simple request to pass a book would involve saying an entire thesis about the ontology of book-hood.

Successful communication (for a given purpose) does NOT require us to agree on unique referents. It FEELS like that, but that feeling is an illusion. And all of this applies to URIs just as much as it does to all other "identifiers".

The TAG has a history of making what sound like very basic and important pronouncements about URI meanings which are, on their face, simply false. Enormous amounts of time are then wasted trying to figure out what they are talking about, and other standards and even architectures are designed on the assumption that these falsehoods are not only true, but almost necessary, so that to deny them becomes a kind of sin, when in fact it is imply observing the way that the real world is. The claim, for example, that "cool URIs" identify something uniquely, is such a claim. As stated, this is nonsense. They don't do that because that is IMPOSSIBLE. Nothing does that, and the uses of langauge that come closest to it (legal prose, etc.) are clearly not a good paradigm for URI usage in the wild.

I'm sure there is something important that this communication about cool URIs MEANS to say, but right now, it doesn't say that, whatever it is. Why not say it right, and then maybe people will take it more seriously?

Pat